Thursday, March 10, 2016

Quit Being A Pussy

The high wind advisory remained in effect all day today. I sat inside working all morning and just listened to the wind ripping around my house, and knocking stuff down outside, and really didn't have much of a desire to go out and ride my bike.
It's a fallacy to think that motivation for training comes easy every day. It doesn't. I was this.close to bailing on riding again today. But then I had a little pep talk with myself. It went something like this: Michelle. Quit being a pussy. I reminded myself that becoming a strong rider isn't rocket science. Cycling is really quite a blue collar sport. Ride your bike, a lot, and you're going to get stronger. You know how you don't get stronger? By sitting on your ass and skipping rides because it's windy.

Given the flying tree branches, I opted again for hill reps vs being out on the main road. Instead of short and very hard though, I went for the longest hill within a 30min ride of my house (its maybe ~7 min long). Once again I went without any data (no HR, no power) just my own subjective feeling. Goal was to put in a solid strength effort. I stayed seated, climbed Auloa bottom to top 5x, and each time geared down one gear. So first time up I was using 39/23, last time up 39/16, which had me at times pushing cadence <50rpm. Felt like weight lifting on a bike. Good stuff. As always, when I was done, I felt really glad that I bucked up and went.

No comments: