Monday, April 25, 2016

Matrix 100s

Solid swim this morning. All the pieces were in place, which mostly means I had training partners vs swimming alone. 1000 w/u felt ok. Neg split 7:52/7:46 (15:38)

Main set was 27x100's done as follows: (Send-offs 1:45/1:40/1:35)
1/1/1
2/2/2
3/3/3
2/2/2
1/1/1
There are 100 ways to mix up pace 100's but this is one of my favorites because you're changing pace the whole time and constantly doing math figuring out when you're going next. To be honest, for whatever reason I didn't think this set was going to be crazy hard. But it was harder than I thought it would be. I took it pretty easy when I had some room (@1:45) and worked it when the intervals were tighter (@1:35). I guess I just felt like my endurance wasn't quite there because after ~15 I felt like I was falling apart. I really had to focus on keeping my stroke together. When I get tired I tend to move my head around more which causes some drag and is just less efficient, so mostly when I focus I'm focusing on keeping my head still and neutral (and keeping my turnover up!). This was also the first long/hard main set I've done without paddles in a while so that might have been why the send-offs felt like a bigger challenge than I expected.

Mark and Nalani got out after that b/c they don't have all day to swim. I do and I wanted 5k so I stayed in and floated through a super easy 300 then pulled 1000 straight relaxed effort. I was super tired and it was slow and not a negative split! Lol. 16:22 (8:08/8:14) which might take the honors of slowest 1000 I have done with paddles. Fine though I'll call it a cool down. Got out and was like yep that was enough for today.

No comments: