Thursday, April 7, 2016

7 miles!

I've gotten a few messages asking how my face is healing. This is 9 days post surgery, 7 days since the last picture. Still a long way to go before I could say 'healed' but clearly has made significant improvement since last week! The shiny stuff on it is a silicone gel that's supposed to help scars heal. It doesn't hurt much anymore but it still creeps me out some so I make an effort to not really touch it. I can sleep on my right side again though which is a relief. Funny how I missed being able to do that.
It was cool and rainy today... perfect running weather! I worked most of the day but then this afternoon headed out for a jog. My hip is still about the same as it was a few weeks ago, i.e. can feel it's not quite right but if I take ibuprofen I can run and it doesn't get worse, so that's what I have been doing. I'm not neglecting my hip and glute and core strength/mobility though and I think that stuff is helping. Anyway, I didn't have a steadfast plan when I headed out b/c I figured I'd just see how it felt. HR was quite controlled (thank you, cooler weather!) and I ended up going a full 7 miles!  That was my longest run in ~2 months. I came home and spent some time rubbing/scraping my hip out with some hot liniment oil stuff and that always makes it feel better. So in good news, 7 miles done and hip is not worse than it was before I did it so I'll take that. I sort of think that's about as good as it's going to get for a while. Not that I've completely given up hope of it fully healing and getting back to 100%, but the fact is that Honu is in ~8 weeks and it's time to start running and since the pain level seems to remain the same whether I run or not, I'm choosing to run. Hopefully I can manage it for the next 8 weeks then if I have to take extended time off, I will do that.

No cute kitten pic today but here's how Ozzie looks at Shakira. #deathstare

No comments: