Monday, February 8, 2016

What A Difference A Week Makes

It was about as cold as it gets in Hawaii this morning. I know people from the mainland are always like Oh really? How cold? For people who don't have heat in their houses, this is cold!

Seriously. Even the dog, with her black fur coat, didn't want to get up.

I got my ass up and Scott acted surprised when I was putting my swim suit on... You're swimming? Yes. It's Monday. (We've been together 8+ years now it's funny how he still acts surprised.)

In good news, the heater is fully functional at the pool now so the water was perfect.
2k w/u build by 500's. I felt good but stayed more in control than last time I did this. 8:01, 7:58, 7:55, 7:51.

Main set, with pads, 3 rounds:
150 @2:25
2x300's @4:45
150 @2:25
100 easy easy recovery

This went well I held <1:30 pace for all of it (except the recovery 100's of course). Started the 300's at 4:30 then held 4:28-4:29 then finished with a 4:25. That effort made me feel like I might puke but the last 150 was still my fastest at 2:10 so my ability to swim strong while very fatigued has improved greatly over the last week! Last Wed we did 300's and I my best was 4:35 and they got slower (to 4:41) so this is a huge improvement over that. Plus, at times I sort of had Mark on the ropes which hasn't happened in a really long time. Lectie and Kendra and Nalani would probably appreciate that more than anybody, but Mark is the type of athlete who will turn himself inside out to beat everyone to the wall on every swim of every set... I think the 3x long ocean swims the last few days fatigued him more than they did me so today was fun to make him work like that.

That was 5k but I did another 1000, with fins as 50 kick 50 swim, mostly b/c I wanted to add volume and make today 6K. This is why.
A week ago I felt afraid of 5k b/c it was so long. A week ago I didn't even have a thought in my mind about winning this little swim challenge. Now I'm hell bent on breaking the record. Funny how that works.

Here's hoping that in another week this hip thing will be a distant memory and I'll be back to running and feeling awesome. A girl can dream, right?

No comments: