Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I'm Too Tired To Think of a Title For This

Yesterday (Tuesday) I stuck to my plan of a recovery day even though I really didn't feel as bad as I anticipated I would? Vineman is in less than 3 weeks now though so I need to start thinking about not just loading loading loading but also unloading at some point. So yesterday was about unloading. Maia loves those light/easy days because it means she gets to go for a walk in the woods.

With my free time yesterday I went in and had some blood work done. It's been a while since I've had any blood work done but my doc ordered it just as a precautionary thing. He checked all the basics (and my mom will appreciate this!) it all came back looking good. Liver function, kidney function, blood sugar, cholesterol, CBC... all good/normal! For once my iron wasn't even on the low side (was 12.9 which is about as high as I've ever seen it?). Hematocrit was on the low end of normal at 38% but that's pretty standard for me so while maybe not ideal as an endurance athlete, I'm not sure there's anything legal I can do about it so it is what it is.

This morning we swam. Water was warmer than it's been which is not my favorite. I swam pretty well though until I started to get too hot/nauseous. 1000 w/u 8:05/7:47 so I was moving along pretty well there at the end but it didn't feel that hard. Main set:

200 fast @3:00
300 relaxed @5:00
500 fast @7:30
300 relaxed @5:00
200 fast @3:00
300 relaxed @5:00
500 fast @7:30 (felt nauseous after this one b/c so hot!)
300 relaxed @5:00
200 fast @3:00

Funny thing about that set is that it showed me that my fitness is completely skewed toward endurance vs speed. Going into Ironman I think this is completely fine, but just interesting that I was only able to hold 1:25 pace for the 200's (2:50 felt like max today) yet I could hold 1:26 for both 500's (7:11/7:10). Given that, clearly the path forward for me is a bunch of sprint 25's and 50's, but I hate those, so I don't know that I'll actually go that route. My swim is fine as it is and my energy is better spent elsewhere. Oh who am I kidding? I'll prob do a bunch of fast 50's on Friday.

Group Computrainer session tonight while Moana had her kids group training. Turns out, my bike and her bike both fit in the back of my car! Yay Nissan XTerra!!

I had some technical difficulties with the programming of the group session tonight. I was creating my own session for the group to do but I was saving it incorrectly so it wasn't loading us up right when it came to the 'hills'... Mid-session trouble shooting isn't really that fun and I never really did figure it out but I grabbed another pre-programmed session and we did that instead. 6x3min HARD and we did it HARD. Was fun though smack talking b/c at the end of each interval, everyone's avg watts for that piece come up on the screen for everyone to see... #5 I avg 239 (that's about what I'd been doing for the first few as well). Jerry was 240 and Zen was 241... So of course I started the smack talk... I don't think Zen can do that again... blah blah blah. It was fun! So last one I was killing myself and avg 250w... thought that would be enough to beat Zen but he avg 251 (and Jerry was 260+!). So I'm learning how to push their buttons and make them work. It's def a good time doing that kind of session together vs alone.

No comments: