Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My Little Swimmer

Moana has learned to kick in the water during bath time. I don't know where she gets this kick? Not from me. I don't kick when I swim.

She thinks its so very funny to splash mommy in the bath. Although seriously, I don't know who's having more fun here... Mama or Moana?

Bath time has become part of our bedtime routine and it's clearly the best part.

At the risk of jeopardizing the good thing we've got going (I swear I shouldn't type this... I don't know what's wrong with me??), Moana has been sleeping 11 hours at a stretch lately! It's awesome. I appreciate sleep so much more now than I ever have before, and to get 8-9 hours of it... uninterrupted... is... well... there are no words.

Here's a trick Moana's doctor gave me about helping her sleep through the night. She said that by 4 months most babies are developed enough that they do not need to be fed in the middle of the night- that all of their nutrition can come during the day. SO... if baby wakes up in the middle of the night, rather than feeding her, give her water (via cup or bottle). This might satisfy her enough to get her to go back to sleep but won't trigger her digestive system... Dr said that after a couple nights of this that she won't even wake up for that middle of the night feeding, which was becoming more of a habit than a need. We tried this the other night when Moana woke up- she drank 2 oz of water in a bottle, and she hasn't woken up in the middle of the night since. Apparently Dr is a Bad A$$ in more ways than one... she deserves *Rock*Star* Status for that tip that worked like a charm.

Sleeping through the night has changed up our daytime routine a little... but it's good in that now she's awake from 6AM-7:30AM, so Scott gets to hang out with her and play in the mornings while I'm working out. She's like an angel baby during this time since she's just had so much sleep. I swear, babies are the best first thing in the morning. :)

4 comments:

Charisa said...

YAH for sleep!!! :)

Natalie D said...

OMG - that is adorable!!! She is going to be a backstroker maybe!! I want to do baths every night - is my guy too little to do that and his skin will get dried out?

That is amazing about the sleep! when did moana start sleeping like 5-6 hour stretches at night? So far I'm getting 3.5 hr stretches tops.

Rebecca DeWire said...

That is one serious kick! Wow! Very impressive.

I totally know what you mean about the jinx that comes with blogging about good baby sleeping habits. After I wrote about Elena's nice schedule of 2 naps + sleeping through the night, she dropped the afternoon nap and is now back to waking up screaming for a couple hours each night.

Angela and David said...

Okay, I am trying that water trick tonight. Zach has only been getting up once a night but that is one time too many.

And her little laugh is so cute. Zach does the same kicking thing. The bigger the splash he makes the happier he is. He also likes to suck on the washcloth. If I don't pay attention for one second it is in his mouth.