Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Got Poi?

Moana is going to be five months old this week. I know. I can't believe it either!

Lately she's been expressing a lot of interest in eating stuff other than milk. Like, elephants, for example.

Or Sting Rays. Any of you moms out there who have a Jumperoo know how tasty the Sting Ray must be.

It also appears that any food out on the counter is of interest. Tomatoes sure are colorful and appealing.

Ooooooh... or green leaf lettuce!

So even though I know she doesn't really need any nutrition from solid food until she's closer to 6 months, I thought, what the heck... lets' see if she wants to try to eat a little food off of a spoon. And I've heard that Poi is a good food for babies... a traditional Hawaiian food (like pudding but not nearly as tasty) made from taro root, it is nutritionally dense and apparently no one is allergic to it.

Let's see if Moana likes it.

I don't think Moana is actually opposed to poi, but she really didn't quite know what to do with that spoon. She's still got that tongue reflex where anything foreign in her mouth gets spit right back out. We've tried a couple of times now and she's swallowed some of it, but for the most part, poi just ends up all over her bib. So I think we're gonna wait a little longer on the solid foods.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have to actually eat the poi to get the benefits...;)

RunningMama said...

I love this post! My little guy is a big fan of monkeys but hates parrots. Bird-hater.

Sara said...

HA! I love her faces in those last two pictures, too cute. I wonder what she's thinking :-) The bumbo has been awesome for feeding her. I just put it on the kitchen counter and we bought the tray that comes with it. Sara did the whole spit out thing too but now she's finally got the hang of it and opens her mouth wide when the spoon comes near it. She would much prefer to feed herself but it's not very productive so I'm figuring out ways to "trick" her so I can get the food in her mouth. Don't get me wrong though, most of it ends up all over her! I think we're going to try poi soon too :-) Yummy!

Angela and David said...

We can't use the bumbo anymore. You have to practically grease Zach up to get him out of it cause he's so fat. It was a sad day to put that in storage.

Wait until she gets the hang of eating - then she'll eat everything. Now when Zach sees us eat with silverware he opens his mouth and thinks he should have some as well.

Anonymous said...

The photo's of her are so cute!

X-Country2 said...

I love pictures of babies trying new foods. The look on their face is priceless.

Natalie D said...

thats so cute! poi sounds yummy!