Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday Run

Summer seems to really be upon us now (ahem, it's hot!)... I probably should have gone running as soon as I got up but instead I procrastinated and didn't get out the door until ~9AM. I knew it was going to be a hot one so I actually drove 3/4 mile down the hill and started my run from the pool. My goal for the run was just to get some aerobic volume in and I knew from past experience that running up that last hill to my house at the end of a longish run when it's super hot is simply not going to be an aerobic effort...

Anyway, I ran 10 miles and for the most part I'd call it easy. I was never pushing the pace but the last 2 miles were still a bit uphill (2 miles uphill is not as hard as 3 miles uphill!) and it was quite hot by then so just being out there running in that was an effort. I feel pretty good about the discipline I showed though while running this weekend. I felt like I ran pretty hard mid-week and I really wanted to balance those efforts with aerobic volume so even though there was a part of me that wanted to run faster this weekend, it seemed more prudent to keep the effort relaxed. I did that which I think is good. I admit though that at times my mind would wander and I would think about racing next weekend and automatically start to go faster and I had to reign myself in...

I stole this picture from my friend Heidi. She was out enjoying the water this morning, but this is the coastline I ran this morning. Windward Oahu is stunning! I live at the base of one of those mountains, about 2 miles inland. #LuckyWeLiveHawaii

No comments: