Thursday, May 5, 2016

Answering Some Questions...

For the last few months my Training Peaks calendar has included this...
I really didn't know if it was a good idea. My questions/concerns were Did I really want to do another Ironman? Would my hip allow me to train for one? Would Scott be okay with it? Would it still be open to enter by the time I could answer these questions?

Anyway, the answer to all the questions turned out to be YES... So I entered the race today. It seriously pumped me up to do so! I texted a few of my athletes (and my mom!) and told them then headed out on a longish bike ride. Nice sunny day... 73 miles later I got home still feeling good... and I had time before I needed to go get Moana so I tacked on a 3+ mile run and again felt super! Woot! Let the Ironman training begin...

I feel genuinely excited to train for Vineman right now. I've only got less than 12 weeks so it won't be a super long build but I think I can get my fitness to where I want it to be in that time frame. I don't have it all mapped out yet, and I suspect even if I do map it all out it'll still end up being quite fluid (as much of my training has gone the last few months)... but I have enough motivation that even just winging it I think will end up being ok. What I know for sure is that I liked being out there riding my bike and running today. That's an essential first start. I always wonder why athletes sign up for an Ironman if they don't really love riding their bikes? I mean, there's a lot of bike riding involved in training for an Ironman. I mean, a lot!

Anyway, I'll leave you with this fun shot. Maia was super interested in Moana's swim team practice today.

No comments: