Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Back At It

I swam a real set this morning. First one in 2 weeks. I feel like I need to get back into a solid swim habit again so swimming doesn't kick my ass so badly. Mark and Lectie showed up this morning which was a huge help. Having my wetsuit on helped too. But seriously, it was only 2800M this morning and I feel trashed right now. Plus, my nose is running and I am sneezing up a storm. I am allergic to that pool I think? All pools, really. The sneezing and nose running is 100x worse though when I haven't been exposing myself regularly to the chlorination. Anyway, we did a decent main set. Some of my athletes will recognize this one:

4x50's fast @:55; straight into:
3x400's pull @6:10; Paddles + wetsuit I still couldn't keep up with Mark/Lectie while they swam... so sad.
10x50's "fast" @1:00; I wasn't very fast on these. Arms felt like cooked noodles by this point so it was more like just try to swim without completely losing it.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll feel like a swimmer again? Not sure how long it will take to get it back. I've been highly inconsistent for ~3 months now so it might be a while before I truly feel good again.

In other news, I rode my bike yesterday! First time in ~3 months... Had to dig around looking for my pump and helmet/shoes... lubed the chain and was surprised the brakes/shifters worked after sitting for so long. I'd like to say I really enjoyed the ride, but my legs weren't working very well. Toward the end it felt a little better I suppose, but I got home and my thought was damn, I have some work to do if I want to not embarrass myself at Honu!! Really, the only thing I need to do is get fit enough to ride 56 miles once this year. Honu is the only real triathlon on my schedule for 2016. But still, I'd like to not feel like I'm going to die in T2 at that race.

I've only done enough running so far this week to keep my streak alive. I *almost* bailed on the streak on Monday, but in the evening after we got home from Maui I took Maia out for a little over a mile very slow/easy trot, so the streak remains alive. I'm not sure I'd be streaking if I didn't have a dog. Speaking of the dog, she is quite happy to be home.

Pictures are starting to surface from our Maui trip. Scott was pretty stoked to get to surf Honolua Bay while we were there... Kurt had his good camera which helped b/c we were watching from on top of a cliff. I was really glad that on that trip we all got to do fun stuff that we liked... so it wasn't just about me and my thing... It was a trip that was fun for the whole family. That was part of my thinking when I decided to run all these marathons... figured it was a good excuse to get us all out to visit Maui and Kauai, which we hadn't done in years. Kauai Marathon is Labor Day weekend so that will be another long weekend family fun trip for us.