Friday, March 25, 2011

Salt In My Hair

I was on Maui the last couple days... setting up some new accounts there who will soon be carrying some great coffee. It's a tough life, you know, when you have to go to Maui and talk to people about coffee. Poor me.

Anyway, I bounced from account to account to account without taking a breath yesterday... got to today and did much of the same... but all work and no play makes for an unacceptable day in my world, so when I realized the account I needed to call on this morning didn't open for several more hours, I did the only logical thing.

I went for an ocean swim.

There are tons of whales cruising around Maui right now so the goal was to see one. It was not a realistic goal but stranger things have happened. I'll save you the suspense- I did not see one. And let's face it, had I seen this in person there's a slight chance I might have completely FREAKED OUT. Even though I didn't catch sight of any whales, I did hear them singing. So they were nearby. It's pretty cool, actually. Next time you come to Maui in the winter, swim out around Makena and dive down about 6 feet and just listen. The Whale Song. It's pretty cool.

I did see a pretty big turtle. I had to swim fast to get a shot of this guy b/c he was movin'.

And how many people get a glimpse of Haleakala from this vantage?

I finished swimming, skipped the beach park shower b/c I was just too cold (um, yes, it was ~80+ degrees out but the water was not as warm as it looks and I did not swim hard enough to get warm so after nearly an hour my hands were without blood and I was shivering and just let it go that I get cold when it's 80 degrees, ok?)... I called on my next account but am pretty sure the owner couldn't smell the salt in my hair (or if she did, she liked it) because she is bringing our coffee into her shop. It was a win win win for everyone today. :)

9 comments:

Beth said...

Oh I want to hear the whale song!!! What do they sing? :) Guess I have to come to Maui in winter now... ;)

Lizzie said...

Your photos are almost (almost) making me get past my massive shark phobia!! What an awesome desk break :)

TriGirl Kate O said...

Next winter can I come listen to whales? I'm thinking that would be a most-awesome birthday gift for my daughter when she turns 15.

Molly said...

Perfect day!

Anonymous said...

looks amazing... and if I'd seen that whale calf with his very large mama while swimming I'd have freaked a little bit too! Very cool video.

Regina said...

Ok, that whale video was pretty cool, but I'd have freaked had I seen that underwater as well!

Congrats on the new account! So what was that freezing water temp? 76? :P

Angela and David said...

This is another post that makes me hate you. It's 31 degrees here today for the high. The only songs I'm hearing is the sounds of my own whining.

N.D. said...

I want to go back to hawaii. Just the pictures.. aghhh

JC said...

Another day in paradise! Great pics! Keep up the good work!