Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Good Day To Fly A Kite

Today would have been a good day to fly a kite. But I didn't go fly a kite. The 20-25 mph sustained winds made for a fun bike ride, but I have to say, intervals in wind like that beat the crap out of me.

I got a text this morning from one of my athletes that said, "I'm scared of riding in this wind. People at masters are telling me I'm going to get blown into cars." Ok. Well there's a time to be safe and a time to toughen up... but let's be honest, while it was windy today, it wasn't like we were in the middle of a hurricane. So I told her she could ride on the trainer if she was more comfortable but that I was headed out the door to ride. Lead by example, right? In the end, she rode outside and sent me a text telling me that she's grown some balls. Excellent.

The winds are supposed to be even higher tomorrow. I heard 35 mph gusts? Nice. And they are coming straight from the east which will make the ocean swim we are doing tomorrow on the east shore really interesting. I'm actually hosting a little swim clinic out there for a couple of my local athletes who are racing a sprint triathlon this weekend... I'm guessing there will be a small craft advisory for the east shore. Perfect. I figure, if they can swim through that, the triathlon swim start should be a lot less scary on Sunday. One of my newest athletes is a strong swimmer but doesn't have much open water swim experience so I'm going to swim right on top of her the whole time tomorrow to teach her what it will feel like in the race. Don't worry, she signed the waiver.

5 comments:

Molly said...

LOL! I sorta love the body contact in OW swims - enjoy!

Jennifer said...

90% of me really wishes I was one of your local athletes... I could use a good @ss kicking! But the other 10% is kinda glad I'm safe here in SF :-)

Beth said...

Yowsers, that is a lot of wind!! Hold on!! :-)

Aimee said...

Wow..I would have been scared to ride in that wind too. I always get blown around and it scares the heck out of me. But, with IMAZ, where it is known to have lots of wind on the bike course, I need to get out in the wind and fight my fears!!

Teresa said...

Dang...that is some wind!!! Have fun jumping waves tomorrow ;)

tn