Saturday, December 11, 2010

How Much Magic Can The Magic Man Do?

I'm really putting The Magic Man to the test with my little quest to complete the Honolulu Marathon tomorrow. First it was the calf... he passed that test with flying colors (twice!). Last Sunday afternoon when I left his office I thanked him profusely and acknowledged that he is very much responsible for getting me to the start line...

So it was all good.

Then Tuesday morning Nalani and I were in the middle of a 4 mile tempo section of our run when I stepped in a hole and rolled my ankle. OUCH! ARGH! It hurt, but not that bad, and I was pretty focused on my pace, so I kept running. Finished the workout and didn't think about it again until I woke up Wednesday morning and felt the whole side of my calf, almost from my ankle to my knee, feeling quite tender. It took me a bit to figure out what the issue was- it was quite different from what I had felt before- then I remembered about how I rolled my ankle. Ah ha. That must be it. But I didn't think it would be a huge deal because after all, I was able to keep running on it Tuesday...

I iced it a couple times and figured it would be fine by the weekend.

Fast forward to Friday (yesterday) morning... I went for a little 30 min jog and could feel a 'clicking' in my ankle... that's probably not good I thought to myself... it didn't really hurt to run, but it felt, well, compromised. I finished that run and then my foot started to hurt on the outside just below my ankle bone. More ice and a last ditch call to The Magic Man begging for an appointment today. Pleeeeeease fit me in, I begged. Awesome guy told me to come in at 3:30 today.

Anyway, I went to pick up my marathon packet yesterday. I realize that limping through the expo less than 48 hours prior to a marathon is probably not a good sign. What was I thinking?? HELLO?!!?? The signs here are all pointing to no... I feel like I've just had so much adversity going into this damn marathon... yet I am not willing to give up. Not yet anyway. Not until The Magic Man at least tries to fix me. I will be smart though- if he looks at my ankle and tells me that he thinks it's a bad idea for me to run tomorrow, then I will not run tomorrow.

One thing that has been interesting through all this is that I've really learned a nice little lesson about my determination. Let's just say it is there. I can feel my deep burning desire to run this marathon tomorrow. That said, I have a deeper desire to start 2011 injury free. In a little bit I will drive 45 minutes to get to my 30 min appointment and hope against all hope that this guy really can perform some more magic. If I'm on the start line tomorrow, well then, he truly is magic.

Boy, there's nothing like not knowing whether or not you're going to run a marathon tomorrow.

6 comments:

mmmonyka said...

Someone/something really does not want you to do that marathon tomorrow! It is actually kinda funny. Like sad funny.
Some people would take that as a clear sign. But you really have determination. I am just hoping that that determination does not cause you to have to take couple months off to heal all the issues (calf, ankle, and who knows what else will happen to you in next 14 hours) that running the marathon might trigger.

By the way, there is something like not knowing whether you are going to do a marathon next day or not. It is not knowing which freaking continental you are going to live on in 4 weeks!

Molly said...

Fingers crossed for a magical appointment!!!!!

cherelli said...

Fingers crossed this is just another little challenge to overcome with determination. Having said that I have had issues running after rolling my ankles (esp the right one) and, well,it's painful and definitely delays recovery of the ligaments (not that mine have ever fully recovered after the last roll)...I hope the magic man gives you a clear direction on what to do....

Beth said...

Oh Michelle - darn it! But either way I know you will make the best of the situation and be awesome! Hope it all works out and if you do race, have a great day out there! We're thinking of you!!

Running and living said...

I hope it all works out for you, Michelle. This was quite a saga for you, this marathon training cycle. No matter how it will turn out, no matter what you'll do, all this training has made your running legs stronger, and made you more fired up for 2011!

Kiet said...

Well, looks like you got the green light from the Magic Man, 3:58. Looking forward to the race report to hear the full story.