Sunday, October 24, 2010

You Know What Sucks?

I thought it was funny that three people told me this week, "I saw you and Nalani running..." It's kind of a small town that we live in and there are only so many roads... so when you're running a lot, well, people see you. Then yesterday I saw one of Scott's friends at a soccer game and the first thing he said was, "I saw you and your friend running the other day..." I guess there's no secret training around here. Lol.

My running has (had) been going really well. I had a couple of solid weeks and nailed my key workouts and went easy when I was supposed to go easy and took a day off here and there... seemed pretty perfect. My calf started feeling sort of tight/tender on Friday, so I didn't run... then yesterday morning it was still a bit tender so again I skipped the run... I didn't think it was anything serious because it just felt minor and I figured a day or two off of it would be the cure. No big deal.

But this morning was the 30K.

I swore to myself that I was NOT going to leave my marathon out on this 30K course. But then that other part of me just really felt like I was going to have a good run this morning. Having nailed some recent pace workouts and then having a few days rest... well, it was going to be a good day! I told Nalani as we were driving to the race this morning that I thought it was going to be a good day. If only my calf would behave.

We started off pretty conservatively and I had no calf pain. Phew. It took about 4 miles to get on pace (have I mentioned it takes me forever to warm up??) but then I just started feeling like a metronome. Nalani and I were running side by side and clicking off the miles a bit faster than we were even planning. I felt my calf start to tighten up about 5 miles in and it crossed my mind that maybe I should stop? Think big picture Michelle. Don't leave your marathon out here on this 30K course. But I just could not make myself drop out. Not when I was feeling so good otherwise! Somewhere mile 6ish Nalani stopped to use the bathroom so I was on my own. I got to mile 7 almost 30 seconds ahead of plan. Probably too fast but I was having a hard time slowing down because I was feeling so machine-like. Well, I hard time slowing down until I stepped on my foot just the wrong way and felt a sharp pain and BAM. End of race for Michelle. UGH. I should have stopped at mile 5.

You know what sucks? Having a hurt calf and getting a ride back to the finish in the back of a truck.

I've iced it a couple times already and it feels better than it did. Now I have to be as diligent about healing this calf as I have been about hitting pace in my workouts. I'll be super bummed if this takes me out for weeks... the marathon is 7 weeks from today. Seems like plenty of time to heal, but is it plenty of time to heal and get a decent amount of training in? I don't want to slog through another marathon just to finish. I need to be ready if I'm going to get even close to 3:30. Time will tell I suppose.

12 comments:

Running and living said...

This sucks! It's the worst when you'vr put the work in, gained the fitness, and have an injury holding you back. I hope it feels better soon. Wish I had some advice, but have never hsd calf issues! good luck!

Angela and David said...

What is it with calf injuries? Rest up. A lost week won't impact your ability to hit your goal times. I wish I had some secret healing trick to share with you but I haven't found it yet.

Beth said...

UGH, ugh, ugh!! I hope it feels better soon Michelle - but you are so smart and will take care of it I know! Minor setback - which in the end might be a good thing. It's funny how those things work out. Heal up!!

Aimee said...

Oh...I am so sorry! That is such a bummer! I really hope your calf heals quickly!!

Julie Dunkle said...

Drats.....be smart and patient ( as hard as that is I know) ice and rest and you will be back out there soon!

GoBigGreen said...

Bummer. Yea take it easy, and baby it for a bit. I didnt run for 2 weeks ( i aquajogged 1x) and was A - Ok and you have more time than that.

Jennifer Harrison said...

UGH! That is SUCH a bummer, Michelle. UGH! I hope it feels better soon!

Katie A. said...

That TOTALLY SUCKS! I'm so sorry. But you know what? You were smart and stopped - I'm sure that saved you from weeks of recovery. Keep icing and resting, you'll be back in no time!

Ange said...

Oh I'm sorry!!! I hope you heal quickly. Injuries are maddening!!!!!!!!
water running??

Regina said...

Oh Yikes! I guess you don't need me to tell you to take care of that calf. I'm sure you are doing it. I hope it heels quickly!!

kerrie said...

you'll be fine. you have plenty of time and besides, now is a perfect time for a rest :)
you may however have to dig out your bike and do some riding until it doesn't feel tender!

N.D. said...

Hope the calf is feeling better. Happy b'day to Moana - so cute!