Thursday, October 28, 2010

Birthday Cake!

I was giving Moana a bath tonight and looking at her splashing around in the tub and pretending to swim... she was all stretched out and I swear was almost as tall as the whole length of the tub. I had this flashback to two years ago when we first brought her home and she was so teeny tiny and I wasn't even allowed to give her a real bath because her umbilical cord hadn't fallen off yet.

Now she's TWO. And loves birthday cake. And clothes. And shoes. And flowers. And stars. And her duck. And her blankie. And rainbows.

She is such a little girl.


We've had a fun week. I've been in 'spoil Moana' mode, which is not my normal M.O. But it's a fun week with birthday and Halloween all wrapped into one week! I hear two year olds get the hang of trick-or-treating quite quickly. I bet! Have people tell you how cute you are and hand you candy?? Yep. I bet she'll dig that! We'll see on Sunday.

My calf is feeling a bit better today. I had a massage and that really seemed to help, mostly because Jennifer is really good at it. I've been taking care of it the best I can all week and then today was a bit of a breakthrough as now I am able to do eccentric calf raises. Maybe you PT's out there can tell me exactly why eccentric calf raises are so good? I don't know the physiology behind them, but I know they work and I know that up until today I have not had the strength in my calf to do them. But after my massage I was able to do them. Jennifer must have released something in there and I think I'm on my way to getting better. It'll still be a few days until I can run, and even then I'll have to be super careful that I don't rip it again, but I'm feeling inspired and know that at some point, I'll be able to run again.

Jennifer also had a bit of work to do on my shoulders. I warned her ahead of time that I've been beating myself up good in the water, especially with being unable to run this week... While she was working on me today she was like, "You weren't kidding about your shoulders!" They were a mess. But now they are all fresh and loose.

Now that I'm getting regular massage I'm trying to figure out how I survived years and years of not getting it?? I've come to depend on Jennifer and I think sometimes I allow myself to beat myself up more than normal knowing that she'll come fix me. Lol.

The beauty of being a triathlete is that we have three sports to train for, so when an injury takes us out of one, we still have two more to do. Yep. I got back on my bike this week! I've ridden twice this week, both a cruisy 90ish mnutes and really am enjoying being back on two wheels. This morning my ride served as my 'Michelle time' to just be by myself and think. I found myself forming all my triathlon goals for 2011. I came up with so many that I figured I will to have to sit down and prioritize. But it's good. I'm feeling inspired!

9 comments:

Beth said...

Awesome on all fronts - Moana's b-day, your calf!!, riding again and 2011 goals! It's fun to think of next year. But I know you still have unfinished business this year!! :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Even with a running injury, I learned you can still race if you feel like racing.

Running and living said...

Happy Bday Moana! Such a cutie!!!
And so glad the calf is better! Yay!

Kim said...

happy birthday moana! what is she dressing up for for halloween?

btw - i dont know has been going on the last few months, but i have had SEVERE calf pain!

Angela and David said...

Happy birthday Moana! Isn't it crazy how much they've changed in two years.

Hope the calf is healing. Excited to hear what your race plans are for next year.

Aimee said...

Aww...Happy Birthday Moana!! What a fun time!

I'm glad your calf is feeling a little better. I just experienced the benefit of massage and it's amazing! However, it does come with a hefty price tag!

GoBigGreen said...

If the muscle can't lengthen it stays balled up or contracted=spasm and tight. Our calves are postural so even if you are just standing they are "on" and running especially up hill or if you are a toe runner means max concentric use or shortening of the gastroc-soleus. They need to be strong in the eccentric ( lengthening) phase as well...
Yum cake:) enjoy the party time and keep on with the massage!

Kim said...

Happy 2nd Birthday to Moana!! What a cake! Sounds like the pool is just what you needed and I totally agree about Massage. I'm getting like one a week until IM COZ.. oh man.. my wallet is taking a HIT though!! Heal up that calf and get ready for 2011! It's going to be a blast!

Kiersten said...

Happy Birthday to Moana!