Friday, September 4, 2009

Racing Around Oahu

On Sunday we get to race around Oahu. On road bikes. 112 miles. The story is that this is the original ride that inspired the Ironman like 30+ years ago. So that's kind of cool.


View DEMRR 2007 in a larger map

We start near the bottom of the map and ride clockwise around the island. Up a big hill to Wahiawa (the center of Oahu is at like 1,000 feet or so) and then down down down to Haleiwa on the north shore where we'll face a nasty headwind for about 40 miles along the coast until we get to Kaneohe... and then the hills start. Short little steep ones for the last 25 miles. Doesn't that sound fun? Lol.

I live in Kaneohe so the temptation to knock off early and just head home will certainly be there. At mile 85 or so, when my legs are starting to feel the effects of the ride, a quick right turn and a 1/4 mile later I'd be home. Or I can keep racing for another hour+. Might be a tough decision!!

Although in reality I'm looking forward to this event. Goal #1 is to NOT crash. These big events are always full of crashes and I hope to not be a part of one. Goal #2 is to see how long I can hang with some of the very fast cyclists we have here in Hawaii. Pretty much anyone who calls themselves a cyclist will show up on Sunday, so it's a good opportunity to get a feel for where you stack up against everyone else. I feel reasonably fit right now, though this event has always kicked my butt in the past. We shall see how it goes on Sunday! :)

7 comments:

BreeWee said...

I am soooooo excited for you! I LOVE Dick Evans... you have to have fun for me too please, not able to race this season-booo! I will be thinking about you on Sunday, you will be fine, remember the bike goes where you look, so just dont look at other bikes on the road crashing... SO HAPPY you are racing, you will love it! HUGS from Kona!!

X-Country2 said...

Mama Simmons for the win! Good luck and no crashing. :o)

Lizzie said...

To a non-rider (or non-athlete), the word fun might not exactly spring to mind with this activity - but I say. have fun! :)

Regina said...

This sounds so great! I hope you have an amazing time. And yeah, crashing would kind of ruin it all, so try to avoid it.lol.

my coaches always told me what Bree says, where you look, there will your bike go.

GetBackJoJo said...

I hope it goes well! What's all this about crashing? There will be NO crashing! I want to go to Hawaii. sniffle.

Angela and David said...

I swear just when I think I can't be more jealous of the cool stuff you get to do in Hawaii...

RunningMama said...

Ditto re: complete and utter jealousy at your awesome place of residence.