Friday, September 18, 2009

I'm Scared For This Weekend

The tired-ness is setting in. Long tough week followed by long tough week followed by long tough week and now I'm finishing up the longest toughest week. I guess after this I'll be tough and able to go long. That's the point, right?

So tomorrow I'm riding 115 miles and following it up with a 30 minute run. I'll ride the first 90 miles with a small group and then I'm on my own to finish up the last bit, so that should be challenging. The 30 minute run doesn't scare me, except that the last 10 minutes is supposed to be HARD so that means just slugging through it isn't going to cut it.

And I guess, really, this workout wouldn't scare me so much except that I'm already so tired going into it. Day after day after day of hard training is taking it's toll. And I found out this morning that it really *is* possible to work too hard in the pool. So while I had a fantastic swim, I'm still paying for that effort right now, almost 7 hours later... I swear I just want to curl up on the couch in a little ball until it's time to eat again.

And speaking of being tired going into a workout, how about that 20 mile run on Sunday? My sadistic coach was probably tapping her long skinny fingers together when she was clearly thinking, "How can I make this run as brutal as possible for Michelle? I know! We'll make 5 miles of it HARD- faster than race pace- AND, don't start running until NOON when it's really really hot out..."

I told one of my training partners that I was going to wait until noon to run on Sunday and with her eye brows raised she asked, "Does your coach live here?" I laughed and said no, she lives in Chicago... "Oh, that's why she thinks it's ok to tell you to run at noon." Dana was right too- weekend weather forecast calls for wind on Saturday but no wind Sunday. That means that Sunday is going to be HOT. Stifling HOT.

Ok, I'll stop complaining now. You can tell I'm getting tired huh because before I was all like, "Oh I just love training!! Training long and hard is so awesome!!" And now I'm like, "Oh I can't believe I have to put my body through all that again this weekend..."

11 comments:

Alicia Parr said...

One step at a time...

GoBigGreen said...

You will be ok. and come race day your blog post will be thanking miss daisy. Even tho you dont know it yet.
Hang in there :) You are so close...
Signed,
a true Minnesotan, where it is colder than Chicago so i may be full of it:)

Regina said...

You are sooooooo close. Can you taste it? YUM!

All you gals that do these huge miles, week after week leave me in awe. When I grow up I wan to be just like you.

You WILL make it.

Lizzie said...

You are just amazing! I just laced up for my long run - which is only 9 miles! Don't laugh, but I wish we could switch for this - I feel like it's freezing outside right now and I just love working out when it's warm/hot and sunny. Have fun (seriously!).

Clare said...

you'll get through it, and probably end up LOVING it! getting out there is always the hardest part.

cat. said...

can you see it? it's the finish line ... right out there beyond this workout. you can do it. you don't have to love them all (though that does make it more fun).

and when all else fails, here's a mantra. ; )

youloverunninginheat
youloverunninginheat
youloverunninginheat
youloverunninginheat
youloverunninginheat

Jennifer Harrison said...

Too funny!! I was talking to my IM WI folks this week and sooo many of the guys I coached thru IM WI *hated* me last month....nagging at them like hell to get on their nutrition....run @ 2pm (when it is barely 70F here), etc...and I said, "I don't care if you hate me now, as long as you love me on Monday."
:) Have a good weekend. Be smart!!!

Angela said...

You're in the home stretch Michelle. I'm excited for you about Kona and I'll praying for your sanity and energy this weekend. Get some sleep!

Molly said...

One day at a time, that's all you can do. You're almost there!!!

Angela and David said...

You are almost there. Just hold tight.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE when big workouts go that well and I don't crash afterwards!!! I hope your long run went just as well today! GREAT JOB :-)