Thursday, November 28, 2013

Compartmentalizing

This has been a long trip! And it's not over yet…

I am sitting on the floor in the LA airport, for the third time this trip, (on a very long layover) listening to Christmas music and waiting for my overnight flight to Miami, which will eventually connect to my flight to Cozumel tomorrow. I'm thinking if I just close my eyes and ignore it all, eventually I'll just be there. And since it's Thanksgiving and all, can I just say how thankful I am for TriBike Transport?!? I don't know how I would have done this if I had to lug a bike box around. Also, since I've been on the mainland for so long, I'm thankful for big warm hats that cover my ears.

I was thinking today about how I have split this trip into 4 parts in my head. 1st part, Arizona, which was awesome and fun… where I lost my voice but got all inspired watching so many athletes crushing that Ironman- and enjoying doing so. Then I had a few days to kill while waiting for part #2, so I spent my time either training or generally trying to relax.

2nd part, California with Scott's family. This only lasted ~3 days but was good to catch up with them all and I got to reunite with Scott and Moana. A week is a really long time to be away from your 5 year old. I think it's harder now than it was when she was younger. I don't go away without her that often but now that she is old enough to understand me being away, it's harder because she tells me how much she misses me and that tends to break my heart.

3rd part, Lake Tahoe where we got to see my brother and his family as well as my mom. It's been years since I've seen my brother and my nephews, Moana didn't remember much about her cousins at all, and my mom had never really had us all together in one house before, so this was really good family bonding time! (Read: my mom cried a couple times and took a ton of pictures) We did Thanksgiving a day early since I had this Cozumel trip… I might have been a bit overly concerned with my food intake given that I have an ironman in a couple of days… Would have been nice if I could have raced first and THEN gone to see them so I would have felt okay about letting loose a little more, but in the end I think it was fine. My biggest concerns this past week were 1) keeping a handle on my diet and 2) making sure I was getting enough sleep, and I think I did okay on both fronts so that was good! It was freezing up there but I finally figured out how much warmer one can stay if wearing a big warm hat that covers ones ears. (#thankful) Also, going in I was pretty sure my race week training sessions would suck due to lack of oxygen in the air at 6300ft but I was pleasantly surprised that I did not actually suffocate after all, even while flip turning! That said, having seen a bit of the IM Lake Tahoe bike course, I'm more convinced than ever that I should never (read: not ever) attempt to do that race. Ever.

Also, we went sledding! YES! That is me! IN SNOW. I was freezing, but will admit that sledding down that little hill was fun. :)
Moana liked throwing snowballs a lot better than being hit by them.
So now here we are… onto part 4! This week has not been your typical 'race week' and I have not had any typical 'race week' feelings. But like I said, I have compartmentalized each part of this trip so I have not been in 'Ironman' mode at all until now. And even now, I'd say I'm not quite there yet. Part of me thinks I should hurry up and start to get anxious, after all I am doing an ironman in what, 3 days? Or is it 2 now?? Depends on how you count I guess. Either way, it seems this is going to be more of a whirlwind type trip where I won't have much time to sit around and think… which might be good! Don't Think, Just Do. Right?

Part 5 will be when I go home and move into our new house! I bet a few years from now I will look back at these 3 weeks and shake my head and laugh. 

1 comment:

Kris Cordova said...

Way to keep it together - with so much going on, even though it's all fun it must be stressful. And good luck racing at Cozumel! Can't wait to follow you online and watch you crush it. :)