Friday, September 10, 2010

Finding My GRRRRRRRRRR...

We made it to Ohio! It was (thankfully) the most uneventful travel I have experienced all year. And kudos to Continental Airlines for providing pillow and blankets for an overnight flight... and a decent meal that they didn't nickel and dime us for. Moana did as well as could be expected for such a long journey. She didn't sleep much at all on the overnight flight, but was aleep before we took off on the second flight and we had to wake her after the wheels touched down in Cleveland. That was a full flight so I'm sure everyone around us was relieved that she finally slept.

Grammy has been having a grand old time entertaining Moana. As soon as we got here she had Moana dressed in a tutu and a crown and earrings and purple shoes with feathers. Moana was in heaven dancing all around the room in her spiffy outfit and checking herself out in the mirror. (Check out FB for pictures!) It was incredibly cute. Well, it was cute anyway until somebody had to take her OUT of the tutu for bathtime... Can you say tantrum? Oh my.

Moana slept 14 hours last night... we slept for almost 12... much needed and now we're pretty much adjusted to the 6 hour time change. I managed a short ride/run this morning just trying to stretch my legs out. Um, it's cold here. It's not even 70!?!? I'm glad I am not doing the Full Distance Rev3 on Sunday. Too cold. I think I'll even be shivering doing the half. In good news, the half ironman waves don't go off until 8:30 AM so we won't be quite as cold as we would have been... I'm not feeling super confident right now about my ability to put together a fast bike ride on Sunday (when my teeth will surely be chattering), but I do think I've got a PR run in me right now. 60 degrees will be helpful when it comes to that. So we'll see. I'm a bit worried about figuring out my hydration needs when it's cold like this. I'm just not used to training/racing in anything under 78-80 degrees- I know what to drink in those conditions. Here, I don't feel the urge to drink so I hope that I can get in enough... but I won't be able to just do my normal thing because I think that would be too much? Anyway, I'm going to have to find some GRRRRRRR in me because I'm just not feeling it right now. Maybe knowing that Beth will be out there racing too will bring out my GRRRRRR? (In a good way, Beth!) ;)

In a few hours we're going to drive over to Cedar Point... tonight we'll spend time at the park riding roller coasters (!!!) and meeting my Trakkers Teammates. I don't know that I've actually met any of them yet? And it's kind of late in the season to do that, especially given that I will not be on this team again next year... but I plan on having fun with them this weekend. I'll be racing in bright green on Sunday and I think that will be perfect b/c there will be a bunch of us out there. I'm thinking that will translate into lots of animated cheering from people I don't know. Maybe that will help me find my GRRRRRRRRRR.

13 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck on Sunday

It just got cold, its been warm forever, and this week it got chilly.

Jennifer Harrison said...

GOOD Luck this weekend! Yes, big difference in fluid intake for those temps! And, you will do well - be positive and confident and get your "GRRRR" on! Go! GO!

Angela and David said...

Good luck and have fun! Hopefully you'll hear a few "Go Mommy Go"s out there. Those always pick me up. I should really drag Zach to more races.

And I think it's cold and I live here so I think you are justified in finding it cold.

Audrey said...

Hey! Welcome to Cleveland, Simmons family. We had one hot day in the past week but it's mostly been pleasantly descending into fall. Looks like it might spike up to 80 on Monday though. Hope your ride goes well! :D

Laura said...

I'm so glad that you made it home for the race! I'm sure that you will rock that race on Sunday! Wish we could make it over for a visit and meet you guys....

Katie A. said...

Good luck on Sunday! Enjoy the live-n Grammy babysitter, too!

Beth said...

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :) I'm sure you'll find it when you are out there. Thing grrrrr instead of chatter. :) Can't wait!

GoBigGreen said...

IT is a bit chillier in the midwest isnt it. we dropped so fast, but i think the weekend looks ok and you will be fine! Beth always tells me I need more Kcal when its cold but maybe less fluid so perhaps less drink and more gel? just a thought.
Have fun and your GRR will be there when you need it.

Kim said...

GO GET EM MICHELLE! good luck and GRRRR!!!!!! introduce yourself to jamie from boston - he's on team trakkers and is a super dooper guy!

Running and living said...

Good luck! Yes, go for the run, that's what is most important now, with the marathon coming up:)
I just got back to the US after a 13 h flight; Petru slept only 1.5 hours. Lovely!!!! But, these trips to the grandparents are so worthwhile!

cat. said...

if you don't already, set your watch to beep on a drinking interval so you don't have to rely on urge. have a great time!! grrrrrr...

Clare said...

jealous of the roller coasters...growing up in michigan we went to cedar point every year! good luck in the race!

Lizzie said...

I feel you on the cold - it's already in the low 70's in my neighbourhood and anything below 75 is too cold for me! :) Good luck at the race and enjoy spending time with your family!