Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mo'a'nese

So I've been meaning to write a list of all the words Moana now says at 15 months... I remember Angela did that a while back and I thought it was a great idea (though I think back then Moana had all of about two words so it would have been a pretty short list). This week it seems her vocabulary has exploded. Maybe she's trying to show off for Grammy, or maybe the timing of her newly acquired verbal expertise is just a coincidence with Grammy's trip. I'm leaning toward the show off theory because it seems she suddenly has no fear of trying to repeat a word that she hears, even if she's not even close to being able to say it. For instance, I can tell her, "Say Grammy." And she will reply, "Ba." I'll say, "Perfect. Good girl." Then she'll say, "go girl". Pretty close!

Eventually she'll have too many words to count, but for now, Moana's language:

Yes, No, Mama, Dada, Hoku, thank you, good girl, please, ball, car, beach, gecko, more, people, banana, night night, hi, go, airplane, opps, uh oh, bath, read book, all gone, sleep, wow.

So theoretically she could say something like, "Hi People. Yes mama, good girl go beach. Uh oh, Hoku's ball all gone. Night night, dada. Read book please, thank you, go sleep."

Though in her language, Mo'a'nese, it would sound like. "Hi pe-pol. Yes mama, go gerl go be. Uh oh, Gogu ba a go. Nai nai, dada. Be bo pees, dank do, go seeep."

You have to be an expert to understand Moanese. The only way to learn it is via Total Immersion. Listen to it all day and eventually you will be able to interpret her language as well. :)

8 comments:

Lizzie said...

Uh-oh has to be an all time classic - especially when it's at someone else's expense (ie,you're not cleaning up a mess your child made!). Hope you guys are all having fun with the Laundry Fairy!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I dunno if I should admit I completely understood her conversation.

Angela and David said...

Love that gecko is one of here words. Other than the Geico commercials, I'm pretty sure Zach has never seen a gecko. And it's totally true. I can have a complete conversation with Zach but it's because I have had Total Immersion in his little world.

Regina said...

I love that! I wrote down all the names my son had for things that sounded nothing like the item themselves, ie.

balloons=banoonoo
pretzel=goggel
umbrella=bylaba
stroller & water were both=
lala

it is so damn cute!

Charisa said...

This is awesome :)

N.D. said...

that is so cool. Nick is saying Mom, Mama, Dad, Dada.. that's it! Excited for more words:)

Marit C-L said...

Love it! I LOVE the fact that she says gecko... fantastic! :)

X-Country2 said...

Ha! That's an entire paragraph!