Sunday, February 3, 2013

Perceptions

Today the ocean was stunning... Simply amazing. It was crystal clear and I felt like I was swimming in an aquarium. There was hardly any wind chop and I was out there cruising with some friends and just felt super happy. The ocean is not always like that so when it is, we take time to appreciate it.

While we were swimming I found myself thinking about perceptions... and how the way we perceive something maybe changes over time or on different days or years or whatever. Sometimes a 55' ocean swim feels like training. Today I viewed it as a reward.

Afterward I went for a run. Coach gave me a fartlek set to do today... it was one he gave me once before (during my first week with him).  I remember it distinctly because I was afraid of it. I think I even wrote that in my post-workout notes- that I was afraid of that run. And I remember thinking something like I bet a couple months from now I will look back and laugh at the fact that I was afraid of this run. Indeed! It only took 6 weeks. :) Today that run felt like a no brainer recovery set. Totally nothing to fear at all.

Workouts are progressing. Each week it builds a little. But my perception of what is "crazy" has seriously changed. Now I look at some of these workouts and just figure out which ones I'm going to need to mentally prep for vs which ones I could/should just shut my brain off and do. I am not actually perceiving any of them as "crazy" anymore. Pretty cool how we can train our bodies and our minds like that. Coach is doing an awesome job of bringing me along.

That's all. Have a great week!

2 comments:

JC said...

Ahhhh - it looks so beautiful there! Love the new header foto too. Michelle - 2013 is going to be FANTASTIC!

Run Gunn Run said...

Great post! I think I need to add this one to my list as well. Indeed 'my perception of what 'crazy' is has changed'!!! Like it's normal now to almost puke on intervals on the bike...;)