Thursday, August 18, 2011

Avocado Shopping

Yesterday I went grocery shopping. Remember the crisis about not having peanut butter?? It's resolved. Phew! Well I also bit the bullet and bought a couple avocados. I love avocados. But, um, yikes. They are $2 EACH right now. Which doesn't make sense when we can go avocado shopping for free in our backyard.


My neighbor and I took turns this afternoon straining our necks collecting avocados and Moana was an awesome cheerleader... Chanting stuff like You almost got it and Yay great job you got it!

In less than 15 minutes we'd collected the motherload of avos. We left some on the tree for next week.

This one is bigger than Moana's head!

So one of these came off our tree and one of them I paid $2 for at the store. Guess which is which? Argh.


But let's stay relentlessly positive, shall we? In ~a week when these get ripe, we're going to have a HUGE batch of guacamole! :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Delicious

Kathy said...

I love pics of you picking fruit off your trees. When I studied in Australia I had the best mangoes of my life this way. The only thing we have on our block now is crab apples!

Beth said...

Moana is the cutest ever! :) Glad you got yourself an avo tree! Now you just need a money tree too. :)

mtanner said...

OMG Avocados are $2.50 here for the weenie ones.

Alili said...

Yum - avocado heaven!

cherelli said...

Oh I would love to have an avocado tree! Apparently even the "cold weather" varieties wouldn't last up here in Canada, boo!

Angela and David said...

That avocado is fabulous. I want some chips and guacamole now.

Unknown said...

Having a tree is the best! Ours won't be ready for about another month or two. Love having avos in the winter. (OK, anytime!)

JC said...

That avo is HUGE! Moana is adorable!

GoBigGreen said...

Wah! I want avocado trees! We get apple trees I guess in the fall:)

Michelle said...

All I want is an avocado tree in my backyard!! Too bad it'll never happen in Colorado:( Save some guac for me!!!